“I never thought I would need home health care, but I contracted a bacterial infection that required eight weeks of IV treatment. My Pathways nurse was professional, efficient, and a great teacher–so patient and understanding.”
– Harry F.
Our family of services constantly evolves based on our clients’ needs, new technologies, and changes to Medicare, Medi-Cal and other health insurance. We have specialized programs for chronic illnesses including heart failure, COPD, and pneumonia.
Specialized Nursing Care
• Home infusion therapy
• Disease management
• Wound and ostomy care
• Diabetic education
• Stroke recovery
• Fracture and joint rehabilitation
• Home safety and mobility instruction
• Speech therapy
When dealing with a health challenge, the best place to get better is often in the comfort of your own home. Pathways Home Health makes that possible. Our skilled team can ease the transition from a hospital stay to independently managing care on your own. Home Health provides comprehensive services for people who need help while:
- Recovering from illness, injury or surgery
- Managing chronic disease
- Coping with life-threatening conditions
In home health, our goals are to help our patients improve their physical well-being, become as independent as they can be, and enjoy the best quality of life possible.
We provide professional skilled services at home, as ordered and directed by the patient’s doctor.
What to expect from Home Health
Pathways provides hands-on care and teaches patients and caregivers all they need to manage care at home. Our services are customized to meet each individual’s needs, and we are available when you need us, seven days a week. You can count on Pathways for:
- Doctor-directed home visits from a team of caring healthcare professionals
- Education and support to teach patients and their caregivers how to manage care at home
- A 24/7 nurse hotline for consultation or to arrange a home visit if needed
- Professional staff who seamlessly coordinate care
- A wide range of services, including nursing, physical rehabilitation, speech therapy, and Palliative Care
The Home Health Care Team
Depending on what the doctor prescribes, a patient’s home health care team may include one or more of the following experts:
- A nurse who evaluates the patient, reports back to the physician with an assessment, provides hands-on care, and teaches the patient about their condition and its treatment, pain and symptom control, medication, and more
- A physical therapist, occupational therapist and/or speech pathologist who develops and implements a coordinated rehabilitation plan based on the patient’s physical needs and personal goals
- A home health aide to help with personal care such as bathing and dressing
- A social worker to provide short-term counseling, as well as advice about resource planning and long-term care arrangements if needed
- A dietitian who consults with the team regarding the patient’s nutritional needs and gives healthy meal guidance, in accordance with any cultural and dietary restrictions
Insurance Coverage and Qualifying for Home Health
A physician must order Home Health and to qualify patients must meet the following criteria:
- Leaving home is physically taxing and usually requires the help of another person and equipment such as a walker or wheelchair.
- They have a “skilled need”—a problem that requires the services of a registered nurse, speech pathologist, or physical therapist
As long as a physician has prescribed home health, Medicare, Medi-Cal and most other insurance will cover home health visits. We will work with your insurance provider to review your benefits.
Arranging Home Health
If you are hospitalized, talk with your doctor or hospital case manager about home health and ask for Pathways as your home health provider. Medicare says that you must always have a choice of providers. We will work closely with them to provide a smooth transition from hospital to your home.If you are not in the hospital, you can talk with your doctor or call our admissions staff. We will work with your doctor to develop a plan for your home health.